Friday, April 29, 2011

An Event

A long awaited event occurred today -- the Royal wedding of William and Kate. Today, Kate Middleton made every girl in the world wish she was a Princess. Well, at least that's how I felt :)

I have today off of work and was planning on doing so much, but ended up glued to the TV since this morning, waiting for the live first kiss from the couple. I didn't wake up early enough to watch the actual ceremony (that was way too early!), but it's being replayed all day so I'm not too worried about it. When I saw Kate's dress, I fell in love with it. It was very classy, lace, and so Grace Kelly. Her makeup - flawless. She looked absolutely radiant.

Watching their wedding made me think of my own. And unfortunately, when I think of my own, some negative thoughts come pouring back. Not of my actual wedding - that was the most magical time of my life so far - but because of some other circumstances I won't bother getting into right now.

As I saw the crowds and crowds of people both inside and outside Westminster Abbey for William and Kate's wedding, I thought again about how weddings can sometimes get so out of hand. Dozens of people surround a couple and sometimes that day becomes about pleasing others, making sure family is happy, that details are taken care of, that you're not going to disappoint anyone...when in the end, that day is really about two people - the Bride and the Groom. Whether they are the possible future King and Queen or every day people, that day is about them. Sometimes that gets lost.

Watching the wedding made me smile. The people gathering, the stunning yet simple decorations, the gorgeous Church combined with nature's foliage, the outrageous hats! It did seem like a magical event and I hope the new husband and wife have a lifetime of happiness.

I probably don't have anything in common with Kate, but I like to think that as she walked down the aisle next to her new husband, she thought the same thing I did when I was walking down the aisle...


I just married the man of my dreams. Love is not a fairytale.





No comments:

Post a Comment